Thursday, June 28, 2012

Summer and Sunburns (and sunburn remedies!)

Ah, summer sun.  I love the sun.  I can't emphasize that enough.  No, I don't like being so hot in the sun I'm toasting, but a decent amount of sun just FEELS good, both physically and emotionally.  I went to Seven Peaks Water Park this morning and had a great time just lounging around on a tube in the wave pool and around the lazy river.  But silly me, like I do every summer (you'd think I'd learn)...I got sunburned.  Luckily the burn isn't bad at all, and tomorrow it will probably just look tan, but I have had times when I have burned myself pretty badly and couldn't even sleep because I was so miserable.  Sunburns can even make  your stomach feel sick.  Powerful stuff, sunburns.

Seven Peaks Water Park
So, what are some sunburn remedies?  Most are probably pretty well known, but I'll share some tips that may be the difference between being crispy lobster and turning back into a human being again.


  1. Forget the lotion. Probably my most useful tip (and I feel this isn't nearly as widely known as it should be) is what NOT to do with your sunburn.  DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT PUT LOTION ON YOUR SUNBURN!!  ...At least not at first.  Lotion will actually trap the heat in your skin, making the process of your body recovering longer and harder (and I don't mean Aloe Vera--that stuff is great--I'm talking about regular old moisturising lotion).  Once you start to peel (if you peel), sure, go for the lotion to help reduce that irritating itching--but in the beginning, don't put lotion on or you will be trapping in all that heat generated from the burn.  Bad idea.
  2. Take ibuprofen. When you get a sunburn, your skin becomes inflamed from the burn.  Taking ibuprofen (Advil, ect.) will help reduce the inflammation as well as reduce some of the pain.  Double win! :)
  3. Drink water. Your body can easily become dehydrated while you have a sunburn because of all that heat that's been generated, so be sure to drink, drink, drink (water that is)!  You'll feel better if you're fully hydrated (maybe not immediately, but you will) and your sunburn will heal faster too.
  4. Get cool and wet. No, don't go back swimming.  I mean take a cool shower or bath, put wet wash cloths on the sunburned area, or even soak a shirt or towel in cool water and put it on; I've also heard oatmeal can be soothing in your bath. Not only will cool water help the pain be reduced, but it will help your burn get better faster because you'll be removing some of the harmful heat produced by the burn.  Less heat means your skin can heal faster.  The point here isn't to freeze.  The water needs to be COOL, not frigid and miserably freezing.  And if you take a shower or bath, make sure to PAT down with a towel, don't rub yourself down or it'll hurt.  That's pretty obvious, but I thought I'd mention it anyway since sometimes you go on automatic and just start rubbing down like normal after a shower.
  5. Black tea and mint solution
  6. Use aloe vera gel. Aloe vera gel is awesome stuff.  Thank goodness for that awesome leafy plant that gives us such wonderful relief!  Yeah, it does make you feel a little sticky because of the texture, but the relief is totally worth it in my boat.  You don't need to buy the fancy brand--go to Walmart and get the cheapo stuff and save yourself some cash.  Works just as well for me.
  7. Black tea and mint solution. Here is a tip I haven't tried myself, but I have heard a number of people say it works really well.  I got the info from the Martha Stewart website: "An infusion of black tea and fresh mint makes a fragrant sunburn soother. The tannic acid in black tea draws heat from the burn and restores the skin's acid balance; the mint cools the skin.To make, pour four cups boiling water over two cups of fresh mint leaves and three or four tea bags. Cover, let stand 10 minutes, then strain. Let cool, and transfer to a glass jar. Apply to sunburned skin with a washcloth or cotton balls. The infusion keeps for a few weeks in the refrigerator." **And I will add a note that you'll want to use a wash cloth that you won't mind if it gets stained.  The black tea will probably stain it beyond repair.**
  8. Wear loose, comfortable clothing. This isn't a cure by any means, but it helps reduce pain.  Wear a loose fitting cotton shirt or shorts to help reduce the pain of any added pressure tight clothing will add.  Cotton breathes easier too, which will help you stay and feel cooler.
  9. Stay away from the sun. Obvious, but it's tempting to slather on a huge layer of sun screen and go back and enjoy the sun some more, isn't it?  Don't do it--you'll be sorry.  Give your burn a few days at least.  You'll be glad you did.
I hope at least one of these tips is helpful, and happy healing! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment